pesto zucchini pasta with toasted pine nuts, roasted broccoli and sauteed garlic kale
you can take the pasta away from the italian girl, but you can’t take the italian girl away from the pasta. that’s right, thanks to my lovely mother, i’ve found the perfect substitute for pasta…. spiralized zucchini. i guarantee you – make this recipe – and you’ll never miss pasta again…. and your ass will be half the size!
bikini ready pasta recipe
total time: 25 minutes
NOTE: You need to have a spiralizer (buy mine from Amazon here) and a food processor.
for the pesto (it’s veeeeegan!)
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 3 tbsp of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (if you like it creamier, less olive oil)
- 5 cranks of the sea salt grinder
- 5 cranks of the peppercorn grinder
- 2 medium cloves of garlic minced
for the “pasta”
- 1 and a half medium sized zucchinis
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper (from grinders)
- 1/2 cup of cannellini beans
- 3-4 cups of chopped kale
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 8 small sized shrimp
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep the broccoli – chop into small florets, coat in olive oil and toss with minced garlic. Place the broccoli/garlic/oil mixture onto a baking sheet.
- While the oven is preheating, prepare the pesto: add all ingredients in a food processor and grind until it’s to your consistency liking!
- Put the broccoli into the oven, once preheated. Bake for 20 minutes. Remember half-way through, to take a spatula and toss the broccoli around on the baking sheet.
- Take your zucchinis, spiralize them, and place the zucchini “pasta” in your serving bowl.
- Pour the pesto over the “pasta” and mix until well-covered.
- Add your cannellini beans to the mixture.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add a few glugs of olive oil over medium heat. Salt and pepper the olive oil and a few shakes of the garlic powder (about 1 tbsp).
- Add the chopped kale to the saucepan and cook for about 5 minutes or until the kale becomes tender.
- While your kale is cooking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the pine nuts and stir frequently until pine nuts are fragrant (nutty!) and brown slightly.
- As they become done, add the broccoli, kale and pine nuts to the serving bowl with the zucchini pasta.
- Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat with a few glugs of olive oil. Season the olive oil with salt, pepper and a few shakes of the garlic powder. Once hot, add in the shrimp.
- While the shrimp are starting to cook, season the tops of the shrimp with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder.
- Cook the shrimp until translucent (about 2 minutes per side).
- Top the zucchini pasta with the shrimp, serve and enjoy!
- Optional: I heated up a loaf of hearty multigrain bread in the oven as the shrimp was cooking and sliced for dipping!